Monday, May 14, 2012

Meatless Monday {Sloppy Joes}


For the past few months, well ever since watching Forks over Knives I've been really trying to limit my families meat and animal protein intake. It was really hard at first. I didn't like the idea of buying meat replacements. So with the help of the internet and a lot of experimentation I've found some keepers.  I make these Sloppy Joes for the the family at least every other week.  

One thing about the way I cook (and the reason I'll never be a successful baker) is that I don't measure much...I guestimate. It's all about what tastes good, right?

So keep that in mind

Ingredients:
1 Zucchini - shredded
1 Red pepper - chopped
1 Med. Onion - chopped
1 15oz can of beans*
Ketchup
Worcester sauce 
Whole wheat hotdog/hamburger bun
EV olive oil
(*I usually use black beans..but only had pinto when I did this one)

Lets do this!
1. saute the veggies in a bit of olive oil...If I have to guess I probably use about a TBS of oil



2. Add the Sauce - ketchup&worcester
The "swirly" method works nice

3. mix in beans


4. add in bun


5. Maybe make bake some potatoes to go with it

6. Enjoy!

And as long as super cheep ketchup is not being used this meal is very healthy! 
{sigh} doesn't it feel good to make something healthy AND delicious? yah. it's pretty great. 
Oh and I always just use whatever veggies are on hand. sometimes I do a zucchini/carrot combo or sometimes it's a green pepper and not a red. I've never had a combo I didn't like. This meal is pretty versatile. 


So this is a trailer of Forks over Knives. Very interesting stuff, no? 
Am I a Vegan? No. Do I want to be? Kind of. 




No comments:

Post a Comment